About the charities we play for
The Children's Hearing and Speech Centre of BC
Children’s Hearing and Speech Centre of BC (CHSC) is a family-focused clinical and educational centre that teaches deaf and hard of hearing children to listen and talk, giving them the skills and confidence they need to achieve their fullest potential.
CHSC is celebrating half a century of teaching hundreds of deaf and hard of hearing children to listen and speak, and to fully participate in the hearing world.
In 1963, a group of parents, along with Hilda Gregory C.M., O.B.C, a gifted and dedicated educator of the deaf, founded the Vancouver Oral Centre for Deaf Children (VOC). Today they are known as the Children’s Hearing & Speech Centre of BC (CHSC), and they are the first and still the only independent school in Western Canada to offer listening and spoken language education.
Listening and spoken language education is based on the assumption that children learn to speak because they hear. In 1963, before sophisticated hearing technology was available, Hilda Gregory was one of a handful of deaf educators who believed that even children with profound hearing losses, wearing hearing aids, had enough residual hearing that they could learn to listen and talk. The model of small classes and individual sessions that was the cornerstone of the children’s success at VOC is the one CHSC still use today. Children’s Hearing and Speech Centre provides its children with the listening and spoken language skills, education and confidence to pursue their dreams to the highest level.
Since 1996, Night Hoops has opened up a world of opportunity for thousands of youth to grow and learn in a supportive environment that promotes team-work, fair play and fun through free basketball games and fundamental life-skills instruction.
Night Hoops grew out of the need for free, positive activities for youth to participate in with their peers on Friday and Saturday nights. Many of our players have been unable to participate in organized sport due to life circumstances such as needing to work part-time, looking after younger siblings, or having social or educational disruptions.
Night Hoops represents the first chance many of our players have to wear a jersey and be a part of a team while representing their community.
Through life skills programming and the development of strong mentor relationships between players and coaches, Night Hoops coaches youth on the solid fundamentals for healthy, positive living by teaching teens skills they can use both on and off the court.
2011 marked the organization’s 15-year anniversary of the creation of this legacy. To ensure we have a future of success in B.C., we are putting the Ball in Your Hands and asking you to Play It Forward to become a part of our Dream Team Lineup of new partners and sponsors or continue to be a part of our All Star Lineup of legacy partners and supporters.
CLICK - Contributing to Lives of Inner City Kids
- CLICK’s mission is to engage the community by raising funds for programs that support inner city kids so they can succeed.
- CLICK is a community-based, charitable foundation that was launched in March, 2004 to help Vancouver’s inner city children.
- CLICK’s objective is to raise funds for community programs and services that support inner city children and youth in Vancouver; and to raise awareness of the needs of inner city children
- Since 2004, CLICK has raised almost $500,000 and directed it to over 350 different programs that support inner city children and youth in Vancouver
- CLICK funds existing programs that meet the basic needs, develops critical skills, and provide access to activities for Vancouver children. CLICK funds programs in the following areas: food programs; out-of-school care; literacy; sports and recreation; and arts and culture
SUCCESS - Syrian Refugee Resettlement to Canada
SUCCESS has a long history of supporting refugees from the resettlement of the Vietnamese boat people in the late 1970s to current settlement services to support refugees to make their home in Canada.
SUCCESS is committed to welcoming and assisting Syrian refugees in integrating into their new communities.